Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Altered Notebook

Hello all and thanks for stopping by. Today I have a very short tutorial on making an altered notebook. It's short because they are so easy to alter yet make excellent gifts since they can be personalized for anyone.

1) I start out with a 3" by 5" notepad and remove the coil binding.


2) I trace the cover onto an "upcycled" cereal box and cut out. Here you see: back of cereal box, original cover, and pages. I decorate the other side of the cereal box and leave the back side plain. The reason for using the box is because it's much more sturdy than the original cover. You could always use new chipboard of course.


3) Once I decorate the cover, I use my Cropadile to make new holes on my new cover using the original cover as a template. Then I put the binding back on.


4) Add any other finishing touches - I added the adorable Sock Monkey Boy from Bugaboo Stamps and added a little glaze.


And there's a super fun little gift for that someone special...who might happen to live in Alaska ;) And just a note: if you decide to sew on the cover, take note of where the holes are to be punched to avoid punching through any sewn areas...yup, learned this the hard way.


Thanks so much for visiting today and I hope you enjoyed my little tut.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

This is so sweet Lola ! Thank you so much for the idea and the inspiration ! Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

ike said...

Oh WoW - that's really cool. Thank you for sharing that :-) I guess you just unwind the spiral thingy back through all the holes yes ??!

Beckie said...

Great idea!! Thanks.

Be blessed, Beckie

Oak Pond SC said...

Thank you for this tutorial Lola. My Friend is leaving for Africa in a couple of weeks and wants paper and pencils for the local children. These will be light for travel and just perfect! <3-Kim

Crafty Mamma Mia said...

What a neat idea Lola ... would be great for end of term gifts for teachers too! Thanks for sharing. Helen x

Tina said...

awesome idea...have to try it...thanks for the inspiration

Tina

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin